[vtkusers] Re: Packaging vtk: patents

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 28 15:05:27 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 01:40:02PM -0500, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 09:45 -0700, Wylie, Brian wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Kitware will certainly chime in here... I think hardly anyone is around
> > (holiday vacations and all...) but this should be no problem. The only
> > issue (to my knowledge) is the mpeg2 writer, everything else in VTK
> > should have no restrictions/patents/bad licenses etc...
> >
> > I agree, having VTK as part of the Fedora distribution would be super
> > duper.. :)
>
> Oops, sorry for sending my previous message off list.
>
> Where should a spec file live? Do we want to make our own spec file to
> live in the VTK and Paraview CVS? Do we want to submit a spec file to
> Fedora and let them maintain it?

It is all already cooked up. The specfiles that have been submitted are
the same as the ones at ATrpms

http://atrpms.net/name/vtk/
http://atrpms.net/dist/common/vtkdata/

And there are also binary rpms for several Fedora/RHEL distros. Please
give them a test.

Note that the packages as found on ATrpms will have to have the mpeg
support removed in the source code before they make it into Fedora.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net