[vtkusers] Help : how memory is used with VTK ?

Amy Squillacote amy.squillacote at kitware.com
Thu Apr 27 11:45:15 EDT 2006

Hi Nicolas,

Assuming that you're saying you see a memory increase just before VTK
first renders your model, then the reason is VTK's demand-driven
pipeline.  VTK does not read data, run filters, etc. until something
tells it to (rendering, in your case).

This should also explain why the memory isn't freed when you hide
part of your scene; memory was allocated when these parts of your
scene were first rendered, and if the memory was freed just because
you weren't rendering that part of the scene, then data would have to
be re-read, filters re-executed, etc. when you wanted to render that
part of the scene again.

- Amy