[vtkusers] Help : how memory is used with VTK ?

Nicolas Cathaud nicolas.cathaud at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 11:31:24 EDT 2006

Hello everybody,

I have many questions about vtk and memory. When I load a big model with VTK
(nearly 300.000 triangles), I notice that the memory clearly increases just
before display. I just want to know if it's possible to avoid this, even if
I lose in movement's fluidity. I can't find what consume this memory, and
I'm curious to know the reason of that. Is it an openGL mode which allocate
a lot of memory in order to increase the performance ? Is it the data
structure of vtk ?

My second question is how to free this memory when I want to hide an element
of the scene. Indeed, I have many actors in my scene, and I want to have the
possibility to hide or show this actors, so I use the commands "AddActor"
and "RemoveActor", but it didn't free the memory when there are no actor in
the scene.

Thank you for reading this message.

Regards.

Nicolas CATHAUD