[vtkusers] vtk 4.2 and 4.4 install problems on Mac OS X Tiger; event handling problems

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 22 13:54:54 EDT 2005

Jason Yerardi wrote:
[]
> 1. Does the vtk-py23 install for only the interpreted languages, or
> does it also support Cxx projects?

It  installs at least as much as the older package, plus python support.

> 2. Will the vtk-install affect the vtk I've already installed? I know
> that what's installed works for Cxx projects, so I'd like to have  that
> as a backup in case something goes wrong when installing vtk-py23.

They install in different directories so you can have both installed at
the same time. You may need to adapt some environment variables like
TCLLIBPATH.
  .
> 3. Do interpreted Tcl scripts run by the vtk-py23 software support
> mouse and keyboard events?

Some do, some don't. I don't know why, but there is indeed something
wrong with the input of VTK in X11 on the MAC. Even the python version
has problems there, too, also not as bad as the tcl version.

> If the answer to (3) is no, do you know of any method for how to make
> events work in Tcl windows? I get partial interactivity with apps  built
> from C++, namely mouse support but no keyboard support --  keyboard
> presses are simply echoed in the terminal window. Do you of  any way to
> make keyboard interactivity work? Maybe some kind of  defaults or other
> tricks?

Sorry, I cannot help. If someone else knows how to make these things
work, I will be more than happy to adapt the Fink package
correspondingly, but I haven't yet seen any suggestions how to solve the
problem, nor even a convincing explanation of what is wrong there.

--
Martin