[vtkusers] Problem with VTK 4.5 in Linux glibc error

Marcio Antonio Mathias marcio_mathias at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 07:21:04 EDT 2005

Have another VTK user ever realized the contents of
the following Rabak's post? It looks glibc is pointing
to the reason for many "memory leaks troubles"
reported not only on scripts handling DICOM files but
also in many other trouble reports on the list.
Downgrade
glibc to 2.3.3 version does not make me fell
confortable at all.

/Marcio.

--- Cesar Rabak <csrabak at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> An otherwise successful build of VTK 4.5 Latest in a
> Linux box (Conectiva 10, kernel 2.6.11, XFree 4.4.4)
> started to fail (specially when attempting to run
> scripts dealing with Dicom files).
>
> The error message coming at the shell prompt is "***
> glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer:" with
> different addresses appearing after.
>
> A quick check in the Net indicates this is result of
> more strict glibc implementation and that it shows
> errors in the application.
>
> Have you ever crossed at this kind of problem?
>
> The workarounds suggested dealing with the
> MALLOC_CHECK_ environment variable does not solve
> satisfactorily the troubles in my installation, so
> as
> an interim solution I downgraded my glibc to 2.3.3
> which is the highest I get VTK to run.
>
> Do you have any other insight on this?
>

> --
> Cesar Rabak
> GNU/Linux User 52247.
> Get counted: http://counter.li.org/

> Yahoo! Messenger com voz: PROMOÇÃO VOCÊ PODE LEVAR
> UMA VIAGEM NA CONVERSA. Participe!
> www.yahoo.com.br/messenger/promocao

Marcio Antonio Mathias <marcio_mathias at yahoo.com>
Registered Linux user number 248543