[vtkusers] Problem with VTK 4.5 in Linux glibc error

Cesar Rabak csrabak at yahoo.com.br
Sun Sep 11 16:15:47 EDT 2005

An otherwise successful build of VTK 4.5 Latest in a
Linux box (Conectiva 10, kernel 2.6.11, XFree 4.4.4)
started to fail (specially when attempting to run
scripts dealing with Dicom files).

The error message coming at the shell prompt is "***
glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer:" with
different addresses appearing after.

A quick check in the Net indicates this is result of a
more strict glibc implementation and that it shows
errors in the application.

Have you ever crossed at this kind of problem?

The workarounds suggested dealing with the
MALLOC_CHECK_ environment variable does not solve
satisfactorily the troubles in my installation, so as
an interim solution I downgraded my glibc to 2.3.3
which is the highest I get VTK to run.

Do you have any other insight on this?

--
Cesar Rabak