[vtkusers] Loading a multiple component structure in Paraview

Paolo Bertolo paolo.bertolo at libero.it
Wed Nov 23 14:30:28 EST 2005

Hello!

I would need your precious suggestions and help about something I'm
trying to do with Paraview.
(Unfortunately, at the moment the Paraview guide book it's not
available...)

My problem is as follows.

I have a FEM mesh file, whose cells are grouped together (to form a
component) according to their properties.
These properties are not fixed, but they may change with respect to
the time. And so does the geometry.

Up to now, I am able to convert all the data (both geometry and
attributes) into VTK stand alone files (legacy or XML).
Usually I have many of those files, typically up to 30-40 files.

What I would like to do is, of course, load all of them at once. This
could be easily done using XML file format, and this is what I am
actually doing.
But it seems as the data is then considered as a whole, and not as
being built up by many small stand alone entities. As a matter of
fact, if I load every single file one by one in sequence, then I can
set the properties (change the view to wire frame, or setting the
transparency or hiding and so on) for each of them separately, but if
I use an XML file I loose this possibility, which in fact is quite
crucial to me (for post processing purposes, I need to hide some
parts, or make them transparent).

Second point, I would like to _automatically_ load such a composite
data-set, passing its file name(s?) as argument to the command line
executable. Honestly, I still have to understand if you can pass more
than one argument only to the --data= option, which, of course, would
be an easy workaround to my problem.

Any suggestion is very welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Paolo Bertolo