[vtkusers] vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter Help

Mike Jackson maillist at bluequartz.net
Wed Nov 23 16:00:16 EST 2005

I have the need to take as input a set of volume data and output a
specialized file where the groups of triangles are written together.
I have the reading of the data file done and the data converted into
a mesh (vtkPolyData). I then run the vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter on
the data and I can see through printouts that it agrees with some
other algorithms for grouping the triangles based on connectivity. So
what I need to do at this point is extract each "group" of triangles
so I can write them out to a file.
   What I am imagining in pseudo code is:

list currentTriangles;
int numGroups = vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter.getNumberOfRegions
for (int i = 0; i < numGroups; i++)
{
     currentTriangles = vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter.getRegion(i);
     writeTrianglesToFile;
}

or something like that.

I have been reading "Visualization Toolkit, 3rd Edition" to try to
understand the structure of vtkPolyData but I am coming up a bit
short. Could someone point me in the right direction?

---
Mike Jackson
mike _at_ bluequartz dot net