[vtkusers] VTK Java implementation

don.casteel don.casteel at delphi.com
Tue Nov 22 08:56:31 EST 2005

VTK works fine with TCL and I've been using it for a while now.

But I'm having trouble implementing VTK in Java.

I have installed the latest windows version of VTK via the downloaded
windows binary executable vtk42-LatestRelease.exe

My path and Classpath environment variables are set up correctly.

I was getting a jawt.dll not found error, but have fixed that by
sourcing the library in the java class file.

The Cone.java example and my project file both compile without errors.

However...  when I try to run either class I get the following error

----------------------------------

C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06\My Java\My_3D\Flames3D>java Cone

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: VTKInit

        at vtk.vtkConeSource.VTKInit(Native Method)

        at
vtk.vtkObject.<init>(C:/martink/vtk42/vtkdist/java/vtk/vtkObject.java:98
)

        at
vtk.vtkProcessObject.<init>(C:/martink/vtk42/vtkdist/java/vtk/vtkProcess
Object.java:86)

        at
vtk.vtkSource.<init>(C:/martink/vtk42/vtkdist/java/vtk/vtkSource.java:86
)

        at
vtk.vtkPolyDataSource.<init>(C:/martink/vtk42/vtkdist/java/vtk/vtkPolyDa
taSource.java:30)

        at
vtk.vtkConeSource.<init>(C:/martink/vtk42/vtkdist/java/vtk/vtkConeSource
.java:114)

        at Cone.main(Cone.java:34)

C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06\My Java\My_3D\Flames3D>

----------------------------------

For some reason it's looking for classes in
c:/martink/vtk42/vtkdist/java/vtk

There is no such directory on my computer. As a last resort I suppose I
could create it and copy everything there, but that seems like a silly
waste of time.

The way I figure it it should be looking in C:\Program Files\vtk42\bin
that's where the vtk.jar, vtkParseJava.exe, vtkWrapJava.exe, and a pile
of dll's are at.

I do not know how, to use cmake or build the software, or what's telling
the system to look in the /martink/~ directory.

How do I fix the setup so I can start using vtk from within java?

Why does the windows installer setup for a path that does not exist?
Shouldn't this be fixed?

Don Casteel - Manufacturing Engineer
Delphi Thermal & Interior
4605 Airport Road
Gadsden, Alabama 35904

Office:  256-413-4118
Cell:     256-312-9195
D/C:     154*82240*28

Note:  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.