[vtkusers] VTK Books

Paulo Abreu paulotex at ist.utl.pt
Tue Nov 1 13:40:49 EST 2005

> From: Alex Farber <alexf2062 at yahoo.com>
>

> Hi,
> I want to by VTK books. I am interesting both in algorithms
> description and user's guide. I am 100% sure that I want to buy
> "The Visualization Toolkit An Object-Oriented Approach To 3D
> Graphics" book. The question is: should I buy also "The
> Visualization Toolkit User's Guide" book? Does it contain some
> useful information which cannot be found in the first book, or one
> book is enough?
>
> Thanks.

Hi, Alex:

A few months ago I posted exactly the same question to the list. Even
now, that I have both books and that I am actively working with VTK,
I cannot give you a definite answer.

I think you are right in wanting to buy the textbook. However, after
reading it, I still used the user's guide to start actually
programming. I implemented several examples that are explained in the
user's guide (source code freely available), and that was very useful
for absorbing all the info that was in the textbook. So, for me it
was important to have both books.

Sliding to off topic:

I can't help to feel that, for the amount of info we are getting, the
price ($132) is too expensive for both books. I think it would be
more correct if:

* The most stuff from the user's guide would be included in the
textbook, deleting duplicated entries.
* The developer chapters from the user's guide would be greatly
expanded for a new book, the developer's guide.

That way, users would only need to buy one book, and those that want
to develop VTK would have something more solid to start learning than
the doxygen pages and the source. I use wxWidgets as an API, and I
had to develop my own RenderWindow and RenderWindowInteractor for my
VTK+wxWidgets project. It took me a few days only to start the
project, and I had a big help from wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor
(wxvtk.sf.net). With a developer's guide on the subject, things would
have been much easier.

Good luck,

Paulo