[vtkusers] place 64 bit libs in /usr/local/lib64 automagically for VTK on AMD64?

Kenneth Gage kenneth.gage at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 10:57:01 EDT 2005

Hello List -

After looking through the VTK archives about building on the AMD
x86_64 platform, I noticed some threads about the bad karma that can
result from having the 64bit libs install into the /usr/local/lib
directory, which is intended for 32 bit libs only.  I looked for some
environmental variable (e.g. CMAKE_LIBDIR or something like that) but
found no info.

Is there a way to force CMake to put the 64bit VTK libs into the
/usr/local/lib64 directory (or any user-specified directory, for that
matter)?  If not, is it sufficient to move the libs from the 32bit
.../lib directory to the .../lib64 directory?  Will CMake be able to
find them without modification when building your own programs with
these libs?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Ken

--