[vtkusers] place 64 bit libs in /usr/local/lib64 automagically for VTK on AMD64?

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Mon Jun 27 14:36:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 10:57 -0400, Kenneth Gage wrote:
> Hello List -
>
> After looking through the VTK archives about building on the AMD
> x86_64 platform, I noticed some threads about the bad karma that can
> result from having the 64bit libs install into the /usr/local/lib
> directory, which is intended for 32 bit libs only.  I looked for some
> environmental variable (e.g. CMAKE_LIBDIR or something like that) but
> found no info.
>
> Is there a way to force CMake to put the 64bit VTK libs into the
> /usr/local/lib64 directory (or any user-specified directory, for that
> matter)?  If not, is it sufficient to move the libs from the 32bit
> ...../lib directory to the .../lib64 directory?  Will CMake be able to
> find them without modification when building your own programs with
> these libs?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can provide.
> Ken

You can always set your install prefix to something
like /opt/vtk-cvs-2005.06.27-x86_64 for 64 bit and
and /opt/vtk-cvs-2005.06.27-i386 for i386.  All the libraries will still
be in $PREFIX/lib.  If you do something goofy like that maybe you could
put that directory in CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH to get cmake to find them.