[vtkusers] merging multiple vtkStructuredGrid's?

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu Jun 16 18:51:19 EDT 2005

 <a530bfb505061614571fbe2fa6 at mail.gmail.com>Peter Schmitt writes:
<snip>
>Does anyone have suggstions on how to merge the two StructuredGrids
>into one larger (40x20x20) structured grid?

vtkMergeFilter sounds like it will do what you want. If you want more
control, it looks like vtkMergeDataObjectFilter might give you that.

In the future, you could try a quick grep through:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classes.html

sometimes just the name of a class is enough to clue you on what you'll
need to do.

>(eventually I will need to merge 100's or 1000's of structuredgrids together).

I don't know how well vtkMergeFilter scales, sorry...
Intuitively though, merging a thousand 40x20x20 grids sounds like it
will take a \emph{lot} of resources.

>In the end, I hope to use vtkXMLPStructuredGridWriter to store one
>pvts file with one structuredgrid consiting of multiple pieces.

I would be \emph{very} interested to hear how well that scales for you.

-tom