FW: [vtkusers] Multiple views of a single 3D scene

Simon Drouin sdrouin at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Mon Jun 13 09:46:27 EDT 2005

Thomas Sundgaard Pedersen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I also want to view the same scene in multiple windows from different
>angles at the same time. I use C++ with Visual Studio 6, and have tried
>the Windows splitter Class CSplitterWnd, but this makes the vtk views
>unstable, showing actors in wrong size and/or color, or renders nothing
>at all. Two views work some times, but fore views almost newer works.
>Please what can I do to view and interact with the same render in a 2x2
>splitwindow?
>
>Best Regards
>Thomas

Hi Thomas,

What I found out is that Mappers and Actors seem to be doing some OpenGL
context-specific stuff  (at least on X). So using same actors and
mappers in different windows with different OpenGL contexts is likely to
lead to problems. I'm not sure I understand Qiang's code, but what he
seems to be doing is using the same vtkRenderWindow (thus same OpenGL
context) for all visible widgets and just setting the vtkRenderWindow's
parent widget to the one currently rendering.

Is there anyone out there with more knowledge than me who can confirm
what I'm saying?

Simon Drouin