[vtkusers] installing on Mac OS X

Glen Lehmann glehmann at imaging.robarts.ca
Wed Jul 13 14:07:54 EDT 2005

Hi Angela,

VTK on OS X was a real moving target between VTK 4.2 and VTK 4.4. I
used to build the nightly releases and found a snap-shot release that
works great with 10.2-10.4 under both Carbon and X11, python wrapping
turned on.

Here are the important details for OS 10.2-10.4:
- gcc 3.3 (or whatever the developer kit came with back in 10.2, I
can't remember)
- MacPython2.3 (System Python in OS > 10.2), with Tkinter enabled via
PackageManager
- AquaTclTk8.4
- cmake-1.8.3 (of course, any nightly cmake > 1.8.3 *should* be
backward compatible)
- cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at public.kitware.com:/cvsroot/VTK co -D "5
May 2004" VTK

Of course, the nightly builds and lots of other snap-shots work great
too.  Just avoid the official releases on OS X, for now.

Cheers,
Glen

On Jul 13, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Winfried Bilgic wrote:

> On 13.07.2005, at 18:07, Sean McBride wrote:
>
>> On 2005-07-13 10:49, Noecker, Angela M. said:
>>

>>> We are trying to install VTK with Tcl/TK wrapper on Mac OS X version
>>> 10.3.
>>>

>> Which version of Xcode do you have installed?
>
> From my point of view, it does not depend on which Xcode version you
> have installed. It depends which GUI framework, alias Carbon, Cocoa or
> X11 you use with VTK, and what SDK you have installed. If i mentioned
> Mr. Malaterre right, VTK needs some header files from the Quicktime
> SDK. Best preparation would be to install nearly every SDK avaible
> from the Xcode Installer Package. Just my thoughts...
> My few tries finialize X11 is the best solution to get VTK running.
> Under Carbon and Cocoa the RenderWindowInteractor isn't able to catch
> all events from the mouse or keyboard. And under this circumstance,
> using wrappers like java or python (needs cocoa) don't work. X11 seemd
> to be the best possibiliy to get Tcl/Tk wrapping run... look out for
> the Paraview binary from Kitware which runs under Mac OS X with X11
> and Tcl/Tk wrapping. Best proove on that.
>
>>> Our attempts at installing 4.2 failed so we tried 4.4.  Our
>>> errors don't seem to be new to many of you on the mailing list but we
>>> can't seem to follow any of the threads through to a successful
>>> conclusion.  I wonder if anyone has advice as to pros/cons of
>>> installing
>>> 4.4 vs. CVS (we really don't need the ability to track changes or
>>> update
>>> code).  And are there any good, clear instructions for installation