[vtkusers] Textures on polydata.

Thomas Sundgaard Pedersen sundgaard at inropa.com
Mon Feb 7 07:49:29 EST 2005

Hi,

I am new to visualization, and was trying to add textures to some
stl-files, that I imported. It worked fine with a vtkPlaneSource as
input to the vtkPolyDataMapper, but didn't work with vtkSTLReader as
input. The actor is showen in the vtk window and represents the stl-file
as it should, but if I set the texture, I only get the whole actor
colored in the color of the bmp's first pixel, it seems?
This code shows how I implemented it:

            vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow *renWin =
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow::New();
            vtkRenderer *ren = vtkRenderer::New();
            vtkSTLReader  *STLReader = vtkSTLReader::New();
            vtkPolyDataMapper  *mapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
            vtkActor  *actor = vtkActor::New();
            vtkBMPReader* bmpReader = vtkBMPReader::New();
vtkTexture* atext = vtkTexture::New();

renWin->AddRenderer(ren);

            STLReader->SetFileName("..\\parts\\bumper.stl");
            mapper->SetInput(this->m_pSTLReader->GetOutput());
            actor->SetMapper(this->m_pMapper);

            ren->AddActor(actor);

            bmpReader->SetFileName("..\\res\\rawmetal_160x160.bmp"); //
160 x 160 pixles.
            atext->SetInput(bmpReader->GetOutput());
            atext->InterpolateOn();

actor->SetTexture(atext); //Works fine with vtkPlaneSource, but not with
vtkSTLReader?

renWin->render();

If I want to use textures on stl-files what do I do, or isn't it
possible at all?

greets
   Thomas