[vtkusers] Clipping,Cutting,Croping --the difference!

Laurent Paul Laurent.Paul at orto.ucl.ac.be
Thu Dec 1 04:29:35 EST 2005

Hi Salman!

That's almost the question i'm wondering!

I'd want to clip/cut/crop a volume and don't really know the difference.
What I believe to know:
- Cropping is "cutting" the volume with parellel planes. It reduces the
volume, but it produces a cube.
- Clipping is "cutting" the volume with plane, box, sphere.... with no
orientation. It means you can clip the volume (or image) with a plane but
the plane can run through the volume in any direction (manually chosen if
you use a planewidget).
- Cutting is almost the same that clipping. It produces polydata when
clipping produces UnstructuredGrid (I have some problems with this
unstructuredGrid, see post "vtkClipVolume and sphere, plane, box").

I don't if this is absolutely right, but that's what I understood!
Any correction will be helpful.

Laurent.