Subject: [vtkusers] Problems with vtkMassProperties !!!! Please Help

Abdalmajeid Alyassin alyassin at yu.edu.jo
Thu Dec 1 03:59:23 EST 2005

Deepak,

The paper listed below talks in details about the sampling effect of the
accuracy +++,  This paper was published in the Medical Physics Journal in
1994 (thus no e-version of it available)  you could order it from AAPM ...

Basically,  the algorithm uses the maximum unit component (MUNC) of a vector
multiplied by the length of a differential volume then summed for all the
unit vectors in the data sets along all primary axes. Therefore, there are
three estimates of the volume which are then weighted by the number of MUNC
to give you a final estimate of the volume.  The data set must be closed +.

Hope this helps,

Abdalmajeid
Abdalmajeid Alyassin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Physics Department - Biomedical Physics Program
Faculty of Science
Yarmouk University
Irbid, Jordan
Tel: 0962-2-7211111  Ext - 2461
Email: alyassin at yu.edu.jo

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:46:11 -0800 (PST)
> From: Deepak Roy <cdeepakroy at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [vtkusers] Problems with vtkMassProperties !!!! Please Help
> To: vtkusers at vtk.org
>
> hello everyone,
>
>   I have a question regarding vtkMassProperties.
>

>   The vtkMassProperties::GetVolume does not give me good results. I am
> trying to find the volume enclosed inside a closed triangular mesh. It is
> approximately of the shape of the hemisphere.
>

>   vtkMassProperties ---- can some one give me the paper implemented by
vtkMassProperties if it is available for public. I found the artical
information from the vtkMassProperties Header file

>             "Evaluation of new algorithms for the interactive measurement
of surface area
>            and volume" - Alyassin AM et. al
>
>   I want to look at the method used by vtkMassProperties to calculate the
>  volume but i could not find this article online.
>
>   Or can anyone briefly explain in a few words, whats the basic idea used
by vtkMassProperties to calculate the volume enclosed. How does the sampling
of the mesh affect the results.