[vtkusers] I need Help with Gaussian smoothing

James Carroll mrmaple at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 14:16:40 EDT 2005

Hi,  I've got a stack that is giving me some really choppy / patchy
isosurfaces...
   http://www.maplesong.com/results/patchy.jpg

I'd like to try to do a 3d smoothing to get rid of some of the noise,

    vtkImageGaussianSmooth *smooth = vtkImageGaussianSmooth::New();
    smooth->SetInput(pipe);
    //smooth->SetStandardDeviation(2.0, 2.0, 2.0);
    //smooth->SetRadiusFactors(2.0, 2.0, 2.0);
    pipe = smooth->GetOutput();

    // Create a surface
    vtkContourFilter *skinExtractor = vtkContourFilter::New();
    skinExtractor->SetInput(pipe);
    skinExtractor->SetValue(0, 100);
    pipe = skinExtractor->GetOutput();

But when I have the gaussian in the pipeline, I get _no_ output.  All
the examples I've found make it seem like it should be as easy as
putting it in the pipeline.

I'm using VTK from CVS from about mid-July.

Thanks,
-Jim