[vtkusers] Re: yet another export format question

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Wed Sep 22 16:34:35 EDT 2004

Hi Florent,
What you want to do is not as straight forward as you may think... vtk's
polygons have to be converted to trimmed NURBS before they can be written
out in IGES format. This method is far from ideal and will result in massive
IGES files. I've used Autodesk's "Mechanical Desktop" to import stl files
from vtk and export IGES files which ansys could read. To get a model you
can work with though you might have to "slice" up your imported model and
recreate it by lofting a new surface over the slices. CAD packages weren't
design to work with thousands of trimmed NURBS surfaces...

What you really should do is "reverse-engineer" the polygonal mesh into a
parametric surface... have a look at www.geomagic.com- I imagine their
software is expensive though. I'm sure there's other software packages out
there too.

hth

Goodwin

news:4151D782.5040504 at USherbrooke.ca...