[vtkusers] VTK+cygwin

stefano mininel mininel.ml at gnbts.univ.trieste.it
Tue Sep 7 06:02:56 EDT 2004

Hi,
I'm trying to set up a C++ development environment with
cygwin+VTK+wxWindows+petsc and have found some problems in VTK compilation.
I'm going now to retry from scratch, but I want first to ask some
(several) questions, hoping someone can give me useful tips.
My system is WinXP with an existing VTK4.0 in c:/Windows/System32.
(Should I remove it?)
I'm sorry for a long post and some very "newbye" questions, but I'm
confused. I'll be grateful even for partial answers to just some of my
following doubts.

[1] I installed cygwin with almost everything it has. All OK.

[2] Compiled/installed wxWindows-2.4.2. All samples work well except
opengl sample ("g++: ../../../lib/wxmsw_gl242.dll: No such file or
directory"). Bad news I guess!

[3] VTK nightly release. ccmake. Errors in compilation when I set
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS ON. And no way to have Examples compiled: after
ccmake+"c"+"g" the "make" command apparently compiles well but in
Examples it says "Nothing to be done for 'all'. "

[4] If I want to be able to compile applications either with or without
the -mno-cygwin flag shall I need to compile 2 different sets of VTK
libraries? (If answer is yes, please in the following things tell me
what should I use for either version)

[5] So, I made mistakes in setting ccmake options!
Probably due to bad linking to opengl libs (see [2]).
There are several options that leave me puzzled. What should I set,
e.g., for:
-- BUILD_SHARED_LIBS (will it build "pure" Windows dll to be put in
system32?)
-- VTK_USE_X     CMAKE_X_FLAGS      CMAKE_X_LIBS (should I set ON, or if
I build with -mno-cygwin there's no need?)
-- OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR      OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY     (paths to opengl library coming with cygwin, or
to windows system opengl libraries?)
-- VTK_USE_SYSTEM_EXPAT/JPEG/PNG/TIFF/ZLIB        (ON or OFF? system of
cygwin?)
--  CMAKE_C_FLAGS    CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS    (I guess here goes the possible
-mno-cygwin flag. In both? And anything else needed to point to Mingw
compilation?)

Again, sorry for a long post with many questions (enough for a full
tutorial) but I really need some tips.
Thanks in advance for any help!

    Stefano Mininel