[vtkusers] VTK good for games?

"Johannes Käfer" jak4.scr at gmx.net
Tue Oct 26 09:11:53 EDT 2004

Hello,

maybe you have a look at Irrlicht at http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/
It's a open source 3d rendering engine with games in mind. I never used it
so I can't comment on it but it made it to slashdot so maybe... See the
slashdot article and comments here:
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/18/1747257&tid=152&tid=156&tid=8

regards
  Johannes

> > I would think it would be a very bad library for writing a real time
> > game. VTK is meant for visualizing large datasets and is not really
> > meant to be embedded in any sort of frame-based system -- filters are
> > not built with the idea of incremental changes to their output.
>

> Hi,
>
> thanks for suggestions, seems that maybe the next time I'll have the
> opportunity to use VTK? ;-) Although I like its concept and there is lot
> of
> work done which I hoped would simplify reaching my goal.
>
> >In an other way, if you are expert in OpenGL, you can re-implement some
> >rendering parts
> >to have a best result (in terms of speed). In VTK, there is the "Factory"
> >to offer you the
> >possibility to replace one or more components of VTK (and I think it
> might
> >be used to
> >replace vtkActor, vtkMapper or vtkTexture objects).
>
> Yes (great feature of free licensing), but I think that replacing the
> renderer and some 3D model parts means to write lot of a 3D engine, which
> is
> what I tried to avoid vith VTK ...
>
> Huh..seems like I'm probably going to check my skills on writing my own
> engine :)
>
> Thakns
> A.B.

+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl