[vtkusers] VTK good for games?

Andreas Bednarek bluehorse at digitus.cz
Tue Oct 26 07:58:25 EDT 2004

> I would think it would be a very bad library for writing a real time
> game. VTK is meant for visualizing large datasets and is not really
> meant to be embedded in any sort of frame-based system -- filters are
> not built with the idea of incremental changes to their output.

Hi,

thanks for suggestions, seems that maybe the next time I'll have the
opportunity to use VTK? ;-) Although I like its concept and there is lot of
work done which I hoped would simplify reaching my goal.

>In an other way, if you are expert in OpenGL, you can re-implement some
>rendering parts
>to have a best result (in terms of speed). In VTK, there is the "Factory"
>to offer you the
>possibility to replace one or more components of VTK (and I think it might
>be used to
>replace vtkActor, vtkMapper or vtkTexture objects).

Yes (great feature of free licensing), but I think that replacing the
renderer and some 3D model parts means to write lot of a 3D engine, which is
what I tried to avoid vith VTK ...

Huh..seems like I'm probably going to check my skills on writing my own
engine :)

Thakns
A.B.