[vtkusers] problem with vtk on linux (debian) with opengl libs from

Meshulum Laks mlaks at verizon.net
Sun Oct 17 22:00:55 EDT 2004

On Sunday 17 October 2004 04:19 pm, you wrote:
> Mitchell,
>
>    We have also problems here with ATI cards, the driver is maybe not as
> robust as some concurrent on the linux plateform.

Oy

>    Anyway you should at least have something on the screen. How did you
> install your ATI driver on your debian system ? I used (require more tweaks
> but seems more reliable):
Guess what. I  used the second method you mentioned below
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html

>   http://www.watchland.org/dmcgraw/ati-debian.html

i see  your method seems much easier.

>   also I wasn't able to use the one from :
>
> http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html

Funny is that it seems to work fine for the fglrx-gears and for opengl
applications for Qt. It just doesn't work at all for the vtk applications.
All I get is random pixel colors in the renderwindow that opens.

>   You should also be able to swith from one to the other using LD_PRELOAD
> (either libGL from Mesa, or the ATI one). Be sure to recompile ATI driver
> properly to match your kernel, if it still fails, I'll send you my XFree86
> config file.

Is there an easy way of removing all the stuff i did under the other
instructions, or should i just reinstall debian. (I am getting good at that).
I will try to just remove the different debs i   created and installed under
the other method, and proceed from there....

I also didnt understand the LD_PRELOAD concept, if you could give a little
more detail. I guess that the xfree86-4 config file will also be helpful.
thanks
mitchell laks