[vtkusers] Re: vtk & prowarp

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Mon Nov 29 22:59:02 EST 2004

Hi Paul,

> (1) You missed the patch for Filtering/CMakeLists.txt.  This is
>     the same patch as for Common/CMakeLists.txt.
>
> (2) Similarly for Wrapping/Tcl/CMakeLists.txt, where I added:
>
> IF (TCL_TK_STUBS)
>   ADD_DEFINITIONS(-DUSE_TCL_STUBS -DUSE_TK_STUBS)
> ENDIF (TCL_TK_STUBS)
>
>     before
>
> INSTALL_TARGETS(/bin vtk)

Missed those patches , sorry :-( should have tried one patch for the lot of
them.

> (3) None of the patches applied cleanly to the current CVS.  Maybe
>     using "diff -c" would work better?

I've been advised before to upload diff -u patches to the bug tracker. It
might be that cvs has changed since I uploaded the patches or I hadn't
updated my cvs source in a couple of days.

> (4) I'm getting the following build error:
>
> /home/pkienzle/build/VTK/bin/libvtkRenderingTCL.so:
> undefined reference to `TkGetMainInfoList'

This is referenced from vtkXRenderWindowTclInteractor. I built on  a windows
machine and didn't pick this up. I see "vtkTkInternals.h" used to included
tclInt.h but the function prototype is used instead now.  I'm guessing Mac's
will need
#ifdef VTK_USE_CARBON
#include "tkMacOSXInt.h"
#endif

>     On my Debian system I see this defined in:
>
> /usr/include/tcl8.4/tk-private/generic/tkIntDecls.h

In the vtk source tree its here:
/VTK/Utilities/TclTk/internals/tk8.4/tkIntDecls.h

If you're compiling your own extension, you'll have to add this to
VTKConfig.cmake.in:
SET(TCL_TK_STUBS "@TCL_TK_STUBS@")

I notice that the vtk.exe doesn't work for my build, but tclkit does
successfully load the vtk libraries.

Another caveat is that while all the tcl scripts can be wrapped into a
starpack, the vtk libraries should remain unwrapped- starpacks cant load
dependent libraries. You should "lappend auto_path /path/to/vtk/libs"
somewhere before "package require vtk"

hth

Goodwin