[vtkusers] volume rendering of medical data

Thomas Faust tf at thermoanalytics.com
Thu May 27 08:47:25 EDT 2004

I did exactly the same thing. Picking in a 3D model ist quite tricky. To get a
point on the boundary box of the volume is easy. But most likely, the first
layers of your model are air and you want to select pickels on the surface of
your model, right?

Here is, what I did. Derivate a calss from vtkPicker and overwrite the
function IntersectWithLine(). This function gets an ray form the camera to
your picked point in space as input variables, which is already cut at the
clipping ranges.
From now on its math, but straigth forward. Look for the entry point of the
ray in your volume. (this you can do by vtkCell::HitBBox or with
vtkBox::IntersectBox in newer VTK versions)
Then use an 'voxel traversal algorithm' to travel through the voxels and find
the one that is part of your interest, store the value in your picker and

That's about it. Have fun.