[vtkusers] Re: Something for nothing....

Joey Mukherjee joey at swri.edu
Thu Mar 18 12:10:18 EST 2004

On Mar 18, 2004, at 10:35 AM, James C. Robinson wrote:

> It is not a matter of wanting something for nothing. It is a matter of
> realising that I am not the only one having difficulty (evidenced by
> the
> incredibly varying level of difficulty people are having as per the
> ongoing
> messages)

No one posts messages saying everything is working well.  You only see
the problems.

> be if use to me. I haven't advanced enough as a user to start
> suggesting
> solutions to people (and I assume that there are people better placed
> that I
> to give succinct, complete answers).

But those people have moved on to solving their own problems, not
solving everyone else's.  Two newbies can become experts by learning
from each other's mistakes without having a guru teach them.  I admit,
I only use 1-2% of all of VTK's power.  I was slightly more active in
the early days, but now not so much, mainly because I have VTK doing
what I need it to do.  I think the forum is a great idea, but that's
exactly what this message list is: a forum.  You think if there were
better documents, people would find VTK easier.  Maybe, but there are
always newbies at varying levels of ability in C++ and visualization in
general.  A document which is clear to one, is completely abstract to
another.

Don't let me discourage you from writing more documentation though.  I
think its a great idea, and I could contribute one as well for some of
the visualizations that we do here if I had an example document from
which to work.

For the record, I am nowhere near a VTK expert.  But like I said, I
have gotten VTK to do what I needed it to do, and I may not be doing it
the best way possible, but it does work.  Naturally, there are some
things I never got working which I would love to get fixed
(MapProjections in VTK!).

Joey