[vtkusers] Problems in upgrade from 4.2 to 4.4

Xianjin Yang Yang at AGIUSA.COM
Thu Mar 18 12:22:26 EST 2004

Hi vtkusers,

I am trying to upgrade from VTK 4.2 to 4.4 with my Borland C++ Builder 6
(BCB6) and ran into many problems such as Resource Leaks and Access
Violations.

I successfully built VTK 4.4 with BCB6 and installed vtkBorlandRenderWindow.
I had no problem with Project_vtkDemo under VTK\Examples. However, my
application, which used to work perfectly fine with vtk4.2, always ended up
with an Access Violation in the code below.

inline void vtkIdTypeArray::InsertValue(vtkIdType id, vtkIdType i)
{
  if ( id >= this->Size )
    {
    this->ResizeAndExtend(id+1);
    }
  this->Array[id] = i;          <------------- Access Violation here
  if ( id > this->MaxId )
    {
    this->MaxId = id;
    }
}

In one case, the code below is in a FormCreate event of my main form. The
first two lines were passed but the third line caused the above access
violation.

  this->polydata = vtkPolyData::New();
  this->actor = vtkActor::New();
  this->planewidget = vtkPlaneWidget::New();

FYI, my application had no problem with float-double and old-callback issues
and it had no compile-time errors. Is there any change I missed in VTK4.4?
Is it the time to abandon Borland?

Thank you for your time and your help is appreciated!

Yang