[vtkusers] VISAN

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Tue Jun 15 04:55:37 EDT 2004

Dear VTK users,

At our company we have been working on a free open source cross
platform visualization and analysis application called VISAN. The BEAT
project in which this application was developed was funded by the
European Space Agency and is targeted at scientists that want to access
and visualize data coming from atmospheric monitoring instruments that
fly on the ENVISAT satellite <http://envisat.esa.int/>. Only recently
we provided a first release of the VISAN application and you can
download this application freely from our website
(<http://www.science-and-technology.nl/beat/>) (registration is
optional).

The VISAN application was build using several freely available open
source toolkits. We used a combination of wxPython (2.4.2.4), Python
(2.3.3), Numarray (0.9), and of course VTK (4.4.2).

In order to get the functionality we wanted we made two powerful
extensions to VTK:

The first extension is a complete overhaul of the vtkXYPlotActor class.
The mayor change is the addition of a vtkInteractorStyleXYPlot class
that allows you to interact with your X/Y plot (you can zoom and pan
the data in your plot). But we also added logarithmic axis, better
automatic tick position calculation, and a lot more.

The second extension is a vtkProj2DFilter class. This class uses the
PROJ library to map latitude/longitude coordinates to a series of
different 2D projections or a 3D projection. This class has the ability
to cut lines and polygons if they cross the boundaries of your map and
can also interpolate line segments in order to get proper curves on
your 2D map.

In addition we have also added several VTK support classes. For example
a vtkGSHHSReader class for ingesting GSHHS data
<http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/wessel/gshhs/gshhs.html>.

Furthermore, I recently noticed a lot of questions on the mailing list
regarding the combination of Python, VTK, and a GUI toolkit. For those
users that would like to get this working, the source distribution of
VISAN may be a good starting point. We have added an almost automatic
build system for Linux and Mac OS X and step by step build instructions
for Windows (using VC++ 6.0).

Best regards,
Sander Niemeijer
Science [&] Technology