[vtkusers] Lookup tables used in vtkImageMarchingCubes filter

Hämäläinen Janne Janne.Hamalainen at hus.fi
Mon Jun 14 03:24:48 EDT 2004

Hi,

We are doing processing on surfaces which requires the surfaces to be
topologically correct. We are hoping to use the vtkImageMarchingCubes filter
for constructing the surfaces. It seems, based on the testing we have made
with the filter, that it uses some kind of corrected version of the original
Marching cubes lookup table which (as discussed for example in "J.-O.
Lachaud. Topologically Defined Iso-surfaces. In Proc. 6th Discrete Geometry
for Computer Imagery (DGCI), volume 1176 of Lecture Notes in Computer
Science, pages 245 256. Springer-Verlag, 1996.") may produce holes or other
topological defects in the surface. What kind of lookup table does the
vtkImageMarchingCubes filter use? Is it published somewhere (we would like
to refer to an article)?

Cheers, Janne Hämäläinen

--
Janne Hämäläinen