[vtkusers] Improving animation speed

John Platt jcplatt at lineone.net
Mon Jun 14 03:58:40 EDT 2004

Hi Users,

I am animating the mechanical deformation of a structure in a simple
loop that modifies the warp vectors and then renders (the deformation at
a point is sinusoidal and the animation cycle consists of 36 frames).

As the number of cells increases, the time to compute the new warp and
render increases, and the process becomes too slow.

I have searched the archives but didn't find, or missed, suggestions on
how to improve the speed using VTK. I only need to target Win32
platforms.

Would it be faster to save each frame to a file and then read each file
in the loop? If so, what is the 'best' file format in the VTK image
writers? Should the files be copied into memory first before the replay
is started?

I also quickly browsed the ParaView source to see how this handles the
animation but got hopelessly lost!

Any help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John