[vtkusers] Segmentation

Sean Richards sean at millwood.ca
Sun Jun 13 19:54:34 EDT 2004

Hello all!

I was hoping someone would be able to help point me in the right direction.

I am rendering a scene that has multiple actors in it. The problem is that the entire scene has to be initially rendered as a single actor. I want to then be able to select the individual pieces and segment them into distinct actors. In case this is a little fuzzy, I will try to explain with a use case ...

Pretend you have data that represents a broken piece of plastic

- Read in this data and render to the screen
- User can click a region of the scene that corresponds to one of the broken pieces of plastic
- From the location the user clicks, the algorithm needs to be able to build up the piece of broken material (say with a flood fill)
- Once all the polygons of this piece are found, we can turn this into an actor

If this is not clear, I will try and clarify.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Sean