[vtkusers] about vtkStreamer

Petru Pau ppau at risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Fri Jul 30 09:44:32 EDT 2004

Jeff,

Thank you very much for your offer to help.

I've just had a short look at vtkStreamTracer. The approach you suggest
is somehow different from what I did for vtkStreamer: I projected the
velocity vector on the surface of the current cell, and taught the
integrator to do the same with the velocity vector it uses in the
Runge-Kutta process.

Anyway, your approach seems safer. I think the modification should be
done right before inserting the freshly calculated point in the structure
outputPoints (in the vtkStreamTracer.cxx that I downloaded on
Tuesday, this happend in lines 883-886).

However, there are two problems:
- shifting the stream line generation to the adjacent face, when the
stream line
reaches an edge;
- effectively reaching the edge, because the line that is generated
almost never
touches the edge: the last step in the integration process computes a
point that is
outside the cell boundaries, and this point is not added; the
last-but-one computed
point is almost never on the edge.

Prolongating the streamline over adjacent cells is important for the problem
I'm trying to visualize. It remains, certainly, to define a strategy for
ending the
streamline generation process, but that's a problem for later.

Petru