[vtkusers] Re: [Insight-users] Suggestions and Help

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 20 00:57:43 EDT 2004

Hi Jacob,

1) ITK provides methods that can do lung
    segmentation from CT datasets. Lungs
    presents as extremely dark regions in
    CT images. This makes them easy to
    segment out of the surrounding tissues.

    You can problably get an easy first
    segmentation by using the filter

     itkConfidenceConnectedImageFilter

    and then move to get a more elaborate
    segmentation by using the filter

      itkFastMarchingImageFilter

    Both filters are described in the
    segmentation chapter of the SoftwareGuide

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

    Your challenge will be to deal with
    the airways since the segmented regions
    will be connected to the traquea, the
    nasal cavity.... and then the external
    air.

    The solution is quite pragmatic, you
    can simply crop the dataset at the
    level of the neck and that will truncate
    the airways connection to the outside
    regions.

    That will give you a segmentation of the lungs
    represented in the form of an "image binary mask".

    You can take that binary mask, convert it to
    a VTK image and then use the contour filter
    in order to extract its surface.

    If you are not familiar with VTK you can
    easily experient with VolView and with ParaView.

    The free version of VolView can be downloaded
    from

     http://www.kitware.com/products/volview.html

    Source code and binary executables of ParaView
    can be downloaded from

          http://www.paraview.org

2) How to animate the lungs... that is a different
    story.... and it will certainly be more fun.   :-)

     It all depends on what physiological data you
     have for describing the respiratory motion....

     So...

           what kind of data do you have ?

    If you are also looking for data on this area,
    you may want to start by searching in Google
    for "respiratory motion".  You will find a lot
    of references on prediction and compensation
    of respiratory motion for radiation treatement
    and minimally invasive surgical interventions.

3) ITK does not performs Volume Rendering.
    Volume Rendering is a Visualization technique.
    ITK does not provide visualization functionalities

    You can do Volume Rendering with VTK
    You can do Volume Rendering with VolView.

    If you have limited time for performing such visualization,
    VolView is the way to go, since you can just use the
    free version for creating volume renderings interactively.

4) You can get more than a few slices from the Visible Human
    Dataset. You can get the *entire* dataset for *free* just
    by filling a form, signing it and returning it to the
    National Library of Medicine.

     http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/getting_data.html

  "A single License Agreement covering use of both the male and female
   Visible Human Project® datasets is available, as either a text file
   or a WordPerfect file. Please make two copies of the agreement and
   have both signed as originals by your appropriate officials. The
   agreement requires that you include a brief statement explaining your
   intended use of the dataset. Send both signed copies of the agreement
   and the statement of how you intend to use the data to:

     Visible Human Project®
     National Library of Medicine
     Building 38A, Room B1N-30
     8600 Rockville Pike
     Bethesda, MD 20894

   The agreement will be signed here at the NLM and one of the originals
   will be returned to you. Included with the signed agreement will be
   your account and password to the Visible Human Project® FTP site (if
   you wish to download all or part of the dataset via the internet),"

   You probably want to start simply with the CT dataset,
   and don't need to get it in full resolution.

Regards,

     Luis