[vtkusers] Compiling VTK 4.2 under MacOS 10.3.2

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri Feb 13 12:24:52 EST 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 17:59, you wrote:

> Hmm, I don't quite know where you looked, but if you see cmake-1.8.2
> (now 1.8.3), you should also see vtk. They were introduced to Fink

On the Fink site, under "packages". I did a search for "vtk" and got no
result. Then I did a search for "cmake" and found version 1.8.2. All that
yesterday evening.

> together. See http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/vtk but
> notice also that that database, being dynamic, is often in an
> incomplete state. It is better to look on you harddisk

My experience is the opposite, there are many packages on the Fink site for
which I do not have the info files on my disk, even right after an update.
More than once I had to go to the CVS repository to find an info file.

> I have also packages for vtk-4.4 and for mayavi, but unfortunately the
> API incompatibility between vtk-4.2 and vtk-4.4 prevents me to put them
> up in Fink for the moment (they are on the Fink cvs site, however).
> This is a pity, because the python wrapping for Mac OSX 10.3 does not
> work with vtk-4.2 and works with 4.4.

Then I guess I should go for 4.4 - I need this just for MayaVi.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr