[vtkusers] VTK + Windows -> Commerical App - Feasibility ??

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Sep 25 05:00:29 EDT 2003

Hi,

    KM> I have read various docs and seen codes about VTK. Now I am
    KM> having doubt regarding commercial quality app development with
    KM> VTK. I will put some of my points, if anyone can provide more
    KM> information / clarification then it will be great.

What follows is a pretty blunt response.  You are making fairly broad
and unsubstantiated observations here.

    KM> 1) There seems to be much over head with memory usage.

This is an unsubstantiated statement.  If you have proof, please show
it or atleast cite a relevant article illustrating what you are saying
and why.  Also, I don't see any comparisons with other options to make
a fair comparison.  So how do you claim poor memory usage?

    KM> 2) Speed seems to be slower.. same sort of 3D / 2D app with
    KM>    native
    KM> 	windows will be little faster than vtk based.

What sort of 2d/3d app?  What other libraries are you comparing
against?  What do you mean by "little faster"?  Personally, I am
willing to sacrifice "little speed" for the power that VTK offers.
"Native windows" don't give you a visualization system with 900 odd
classes to do visualization.  Just try writing what you could write
with a 100 line VTK script with OpenGL -- good luck!  There is
obviously a price to pay for a higher level library but from what I
can tell and the thousands of users who do use VTK, its a price well
worth paying for.

    KM> 3) MicroCT - App from GE is VTK+Windows and works too slowly!!

As compared to what?  What hardware are you running on?  Did you take
up the issue with the GE folks?

    KM> 4) Not many people have used vtk directly for complete
    KM>    apps. It has to be modified to great extent..

VTK usually does not need to be modified.  VTK needs to be *used* in
an application.  That is what a library is for.  I can rattle off
quite a few very serious apps that use VTK.  I think your assertion is
plain wrong here.

    KM> Apart from this if there are any other input, please share it.

    KM> I am planning to compare vtk with others for real world app
    KM> feasibility. ( Medical field )

I thought the above comments were made based on your comparisons it
with "other real world apps"?  So were the above questions or
observations?

If this was simply a ploy to get someone to respond, you pulled it off
quite well. ;-)

cheers,
prabhu