[vtkusers] VTK + Windows -> Commerical App - Feasibility ??

Ketan Mehta ketan.mehta at wipro.com
Thu Sep 25 08:49:56 EDT 2003

Hi Prabhu,

I guess I got it all wrong.

I need not have asked the questions in list, which has VTK experts,
Which 100% sure I am not.

I understand one thing that when you need to understand stats, you
need to ask experts. May be my mistakes. BTW, you  can check OpenDX
or such lists, where people do discuss such things.

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> What follows is a pretty blunt response.  You are making fairly broad
> and unsubstantiated observations here.

I guess, I made it, with what little study I have done.
Do you expect to get reply if I would have asked - " Give me VTK vs other
API's comparision? "

> This is an unsubstantiated statement.  If you have proof, please show
> it or atleast cite a relevant article illustrating what you are saying
> and why.  Also, I don't see any comparisons with other options to make
> a fair comparison.  So how do you claim poor memory usage?

I have seen many mails regarding this, I agree it can be situation dependend.
I tried to use MicroCT on WinXP, 256 MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 2 GTX Card. It
never could refresh.
I tried Examples/Medical3.tcl and Medical3.cxx on same machine. Too slow and
heavy.

Later tried both on other machine with 2GB RAM and NVIDIA Quadro 4 card. It
worked better.

Anything else u suggest ? [ I have some time constraints before I decide on
VTK ]

> What sort of 2d/3d app?  What other libraries are you comparing
> against?  What do you mean by "little faster"?  Personally, I am
> willing to sacrifice "little speed" for the power that VTK offers.

I guess for medical app, you can not sacrifice speed.

I tested other native ( Win32, MFC and OpenGL ) based apps with VTK
examples and MicroCT app. ( Only one I could find build using VTK )

> "Native windows" don't give you a visualization system with 900 odd
> classes to do visualization.  Just try writing what you could write
> with a 100 line VTK script with OpenGL -- good luck!  There is

I know it and which is first reason thinking about VTK> :)

>     KM> 3) MicroCT - App from GE is VTK+Windows and works too slowly!!
> As compared to what?  What hardware are you running on?  Did you take
> up the issue with the GE folks?

Human perceptions/patience. My experience with other MRI/CT system softwares.

> VTK usually does not need to be modified.  VTK needs to be *used* in
> an application.  That is what a library is for.  I can rattle off
> quite a few very serious apps that use VTK.  I think your assertion is
> plain wrong here.

Do you want to mean any company which has used VTK for their product
has done no memory / speed optimization ?

> I thought the above comments were made based on your comparisons it
> with "other real world apps"?  So were the above questions or
> observations?

Not sure whether you will agree..

> If this was simply a ploy to get someone to respond, you pulled it off
> quite well. ;-)

I guess, I asked to wrong peoples.

--
Thanks & Regards