[vtkusers] Three Questions

Christopher M. Navarro cnavarro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 23 16:49:02 EDT 2003

You should do a search of the archives because I believe at least 2 of
your questions have been posted/answered before.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Chris Hood wrote:

> I may have asked all these questions before, but I still haven't solve the
> problems. Can someone help me with them? Thanks.
>
> Is it possible to click the mouse on the render window and have it return a
> point? (Clicking on a sphere would give the xyz coordinate of where the
> sphere was clicked.)

Take a look at the pickers.  vtkPointPicker has a method GetPointId to
return the id of the picked point.

> How can I access the data a point in a dataset (specifically a structured
> grid)? I want to enter a coordinate and the name of the variable and have
> it return that scalar or vector. If it's not possible now, it's a good
> feature to add to all the datasets. A function like dataset.getFloat(x, y,
> z, scalarname) would be simple to use.

vtkPointLocator should offer what you need.  You can use it to find the
closest point, closest n points, etc.

> How do you convert a xml ascii format vtk file with multiple pointdata sets
> (both scalars and vectors) to binary without losing the all but one of them?

I don't know the answer to this one...

regards,
chris

--