[vtkusers] Resample a volume data using vtkProbeFilter

Xianjin Yang Yang at AGIUSA.COM
Tue Sep 23 16:01:09 EDT 2003

Hi vtkusers,

I have a volume data set, that is, a vtkPolyData with (x, y, z, scalar). Now I
have to convert this data set into vtkImageData for volume rendering. One way to
go is to use vtkProbeFilter.

In VTK/Examples/Annotation/Tcl/xyPlot.tcl, vtkLineSource is used to sample a
vtkPolyData along a line.

In VTK/Examples/VolumeRendering/Tcl/volSimpleLOD.tcl, vtkPlaneSource is used to
sample a vtkPolyData on a plane.

To resample a volume data for a vtkImageData, should I use vtkCubeSource
instead? I found that vtkCubeSource has no method to SetResolution(x, y, z) to
determine the sample intervals. The above two examples lead to the output of
vtkPolyData with the help of vtkTransformPolyDataFilter. How do I get a
vtkImageData by probing? Do I have to probe one plane at a time and assemble
vtkImageData manually.
Thank you for your advice.
Yang