[vtkusers] Looking for a ready to use solution ...

tutu lamotte tutulamotte at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 10:29:55 EDT 2003

Dear list !!

<< About the problem we have where our application
takes way too much memory to display lots of small
datasets. >>

Before we start spending time developing a possibly
complex filter to solve our problem, I thought that I
should first look if a ready to use solution would
already be available out there.

Our application must display a huge amount of small
dataset and as you may now, VTK isn’t efficient at
doing that. So a possible solution would be to group
all the small dataset to form only one big dataset.

Using vtkAppendPolydata can’t be used since the end
result takes more memory then using one actor per
dataset. (Even with ReleaseDataFlagOn )

So we are currently thinking of making an “append”
filter that wouldn’t create persistent memory
allocations.

Would someone have solved this problem and be willing
to share the solution with us ?
Like all of you, we hate to re-event the wheel !!

Thanks for any help.