[vtkusers] Time - varying vector field

Gerard Gorman g.gorman at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 04:02:02 EDT 2003

I have been tricking with time varying stuff in vtk for a while - mostly
for particle tracing. I have thought that is was a pity that the new vtk
XML format, which even has support for multiple partitions, did not also
add support for time. This poses a problem in terms of writing generic
applications that work with time varying data as the applications has to
be made aware of what files are in the time series, what order they are
in time, etc. I am considering using HDF5 for this instead (
http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/papers/prototypes/mesh/). But this then
leads to the problem that I'd have to get my hands on a vtk reader for
this (there is a hdf4 reader out there but I haven't found hdf5) - ok
there is hdf5utils but if I'm going to start extracting instances of vtk
objects out of this when I might as well have stuck with the vtk format
in the first place. Even more on the down side, it worries me that the
API mentioned above is version 0.9 suggesting it's only beta - though
it's been around for a while.

I realise that this is only a small part of the problem with time
varying visualisation but I think it's an important part when it comes
to implementing anything that will work for ones own data and some third
party who later tries to use your code for their data.

Anyhow, that's my rant over - I'm really interested to hear any comments
on or off the list.

Cheers