[vtkusers] VTK and mac OSX

Adrian Umpleby a.umpleby at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 2 16:39:44 EDT 2003

> I am trying to install vtk on a mac OSX. Are there any specific
> instructions
> on how to install it after it has been compiled via CVS?
> I am new in this field so a bit of extra information will be very much
> appreciated.

How you proceed will very much depend on your usage aims.

Do you want to use it under X11 or Aqua? Do you want to write your own
apps that use VTK or do you plan to use another app that relies upon
VTK? (eg, MayaVi - meaning you need to wrap Tcl and Python, so you need
X11 versions of these for X11 use, or Aqua Tkinter for Aqua use.)

If you want to do your own programming, using VTK classes, you need to
decide on Cocoa or Carbon.
(The Cocoa reference given by someone else is a good place to start...)

Once your aims are established, it will be possible to point you in a
more definite direction.

Bye!

Adrian