[vtkusers] Re: vtkusers digest, Vol 1 #1790 - 6 msgs

Audrius Stundzia audrius at adv-biologic.com
Fri May 2 16:07:36 EDT 2003

Hi Maximiliano,

We ran into a similar problem about 1 year ago.
Cortona and other viewers (were not displaying our texture-mapped cutting planes.

After an exhaustive study of vrml viewers, including Cortona, we
came to the following conclusion: they really, really suck.

More technically, they suffer from unnecessarily slow performance and lack of proper adherence to the vrml standard(s).

The vrml community seems to have done a remarkable job of shooting themselves in the foot by writing poor code. In our view, this is very unfortunate as it set back 3D visualization and gave it an
undeserved bad reputation.

The only notable exception that we came across was vrmlview, written in C++, and the last time
I looked available for free download from

http://www.rational-reducer.com/display.asp?xmlID=56&menuPath=f6481_f6494_f6845_

Top: www.sim.no or http://www.rational-reducer.com

I suggest that you download and try vrmlview. If it doesn't work, especially after playing with setting,
then it's time to look at your code.

Fwiw, this is not a paided plug, but a "tip of the hat" to a tangential competator.

Regards,

Audrius