[vtkusers] Cutplanes & simulated volume rendering

Sepp^ Huber sepp.huber21 at gmx.at
Tue Mar 4 12:55:54 EST 2003

Hello all,

sorry to bother you but this problem (which I desperately need to solve for
my work) looks easy but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.
Probably you could provide me with some hints or example code on how to get it
done for which I'd be really grateful.

I have data from radiation measurements in the following form.

XIndex_Of_A_Cell YIndex_Of_A_Cell ZIndex_Of_A_Cell Radiation_Dose

for example
0 0 0 1.5
1 0 0 1.4
2 0 0 1.3
0 1 0 1.3

and so on. What I want to do is create some kind of volume rendering (or
volume-like) rendering so that one can see with the help of transparency where
there are areas of high radiation levels. In principle I took the idea of the
combVol.tcl example to create transparent cuts and thus simulate volume
rendering but unfortunately I failed. combVol.tcl uses a structured grid and I
haven't been able how to create such an object with the data at my hands and how
to correctly feed it to the algorithm pressented in combVol.tcl

If anybody could show me a way on how to get a volume-like rendering using
transparency and cutplanes with this kind of data I'd be very very grateful.

Thanks for your patience

Sepp