[vtkusers] how to separate rendering from data processing

X. Chi vtk_chi at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 18 12:46:21 EDT 2003

Hi, all,

I have a question about separating the rendering and data processing: for my
real time simulation project, I have large sets of image data to process,
then render the data using marching cube filter. But the simulation is very
slow. I guess the marching cube filter takes lots of time to extract
polygons. So, my idea is that maybe I can separate the marching cube
computing from the vtk rendering. Thus, when I do rendering, marching cube
will be working at "backgroud" to avoid the rendering delay.

One solution I can think about right now is to set two threads: one for
rendering and another is for marching cube. But I have no idea where to set
the two threads (e.g. event loops and how? or command/observer mechanism?).
Does anybody have any suggestions on my problem?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

chi