[vtkusers] Generating point normals for new source

godach at juno.com godach at juno.com
Fri Jul 18 12:30:29 EDT 2003

Hello,

I was trying to create a new source derived
from vtkUnstructuredGridSource. The idea is to supply a hexahedron
cell with its 8 points. However, in order to render it,
I was wondering if it is necessary to generate an array of normals
and then call

output->GetPointData()->SetNormals(Normals);

If yes, then it seems I will run into some trouble, coz I can only
supply 8 normals, one for each point. Assuming vertex lighting,
the normal specified may not be correct at all. I am guessing this
is why in other sources, like cube, polygonal cells are used instead,
such that each point has 3 normals.

Thanks for any corrections and help!

Best wishes,

Daniel