[vtkusers] Build instructions for OS X 10.2.3

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Jan 22 16:22:04 EST 2003

I think the problem is that you are using OS X, which is a new, and
yet to be fully supported platform for VTK.   The next release of VTK/CMake
should support OS X much better.   VTK 4.0 does not work with the current
OS X.   OS X is a bit of a moving target.

As you mention the new X11 stuff was JUST added to OS X, and it did break
some of the build stuff.   Most of the effort for OS X, has been done
for Coco and Carbon.    There is no nightly testing for VTK on OS X with
X11.  I think your best hope is to use CMake 1.6 beta 2, and cvs VTK.
The other approach is to wait a month or two for the next VTK release.

If there is someone out there that has been able to build/run VTK on OS X
with X11, and you are interested keeping that functionality working in VTK, please
contact me.   I will help you to set up a nightly dashboard build on your machine,
that will test VTK and make sure that it continues to work in the future.
We are close (month or two) to a new VTK release, so if there are some "hacks/tricks"
that need to be done to VTK for X11 on OSX, speak now, or live with CVS VTK for
the next year.

-Bill