[vtkusers] Re: Dataset Animation in VTK

Craig N. Scott craig.scott at csiro.au
Thu Feb 6 18:57:29 EST 2003

I wanted to do something similar a little while ago in Tcl. My approach
was a bit different to your suggestion. A simplified version of the
pipeline looks something like this:

vtkPolyDataReader

vtkPolyDataMapper

vtkActor

I achieved animation by creating a vtkPolyDataReader for each file and
then changing which one the vtkPolyDataMapper used for a source (ie
calls to vtkPolyDataMapper::SetInput).

This had the advantage that each file only needed to be read in once,
then if I wanted to reshow the animation it would be much faster because
the data was retained in memory. Of course, if your models are large or
you have a lot of frames, you'd probably want to get Vtk to discard the
data not being shown.

--
Dr Craig Scott, CSIRO (CMIS)
Melbourne, Australia