[vtkusers] X11 fullscreen mode and bugs in input handling

Glen.Coates at csiro.au Glen.Coates at csiro.au
Mon Feb 3 18:04:21 EST 2003

Apologies for the repost, but this is a very important performance issue
for me (and I suspect many other X users).

I've checked out the source to vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow and looked at the
code fragments dealing with fullscreen modes, and I notice there are no X
API calls requesting a mode switch, only calls to drop WM decorations and
resize the window to cover the entire display.  Obviously, the current
method will only hinder performance, rather than increase it.

Are there any plans (Will?) to update the X code to implement a proper X
mode switch to other (lower) resolutions for rendering (ie 640x480,
800x600 etc)?  I would love to contribute the code for this, however I
have zero experience programming with the X API (ugh!).

Also, I think there is a bug in the current X fullscreen mode
implementation with the input handling.  When you go to fullscreen mode,
the application no longer receives mouse/keyboard events, however
continues to run non-interactive code just fine.  There are calls to
XGrabKeyboard() sitting in the source, which I guess must be the root of
the problem (?) ...

--
Cheers,
Glen