[vtkusers] disappearing windows in Java w/vtk

Christopher M. Navarro cnavarro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 9 18:25:35 EST 2003

I have a JFrame that contains a vtkCanvas object and then another JFrame
that has a control window with widgets for turning things on and off, etc.
The problem I am having shows up on my Windows XP system where if I move
the control palette frame over the frame that contains the vtkCanvas
object and then move the mouse out of the palette frame and into the frame
containing the vtkCanvas, the palette frame disappears behind the frame
containing the vtk object(s).  I'm pretty sure its a window management
thing since on my linux box I don't have this problem.  It gets pretty
annoying when you have to move things around so that the vtk frame doesn't
hide other windows or you will lose visibility of them when they lose
focus.  Is there something on the java side that can keep this from
happening?  It would be nice to be able to have one window over another
and have it stay that way when the focus moves to the vtkframe so
multiple windows can be seen without them being completely separated.
I've thought about doing something like TestInternalFrames.java but I was
wondering if there is a quicker fix.  Thanks.

p.s. using a recent vtk nightly on redhat 9 & windows xp as my test
systems.

regards,

chris